Sunday, April 11, 2010

Starting Today

This is forcing me to be more honest than I usually care to be but so be it. I've set this site up because honesty is what the situation calls for. I'm going to put this out there to make myself accountable to me, to chart progress and note failures, and so I can do better, be better.

Since I'm pretty sure that almost everyone who reads Lovesome knows me, it's no surprise to you that I could be in better shape. I intend to do something about that. Starting today.

There's really no excuse since I consider myself to be fairly educated about what it takes to be healthy. I know what to eat and what not to eat, I read nutrition labels and shop wisely. I don't drink sodas usually, drink lots of water, and other than indulging in a small chocolate something after dinner and the occasional meal out, I eat pretty healthily.

In fact, I don't think my problem is what I eat, but how I eat. I rarely eat breakfast, have only a small lunch, and then when I get home at the end of the day I'm starving. I usually cook something pretty healthy - soup or chicken sauteed with veggies and brown rice or salmon and veggies with whole wheat couscous. But I eat a lot of it because I'm starving at dinner time. And since I'm usually studying or watching TV, I'm bored in the evenings. Which basically means I'm full-on grazing/snacking/eating from the time I get home until I go to bed. So basically, the exact opposite of what you should do. But I know what needs to change.

It's time for that change to happen. I don't know if it's my upbringing or my personality or the people I surround myself with or what, but I have been very fortunate in my life to have never suffered from low self-esteem. I think I'm pretty great. Not in a I'm-better-than-everyone sort of way, but I think I know myself pretty well and I like me. I know my strengths and weaknesses and I think I have a pretty honest and accurate sense of myself. So even though I've struggled with weight for a long time, it's not like I don't like my body or who I am as a result. I think that's important to note.

But I also think the weight issue is the only thing holding me back. It's the only excuse I have not to live life to the fullest, the only thing keeping me from taking advantage of every opportunity, the only thing between me and complete confidence.

So it's gotta go. Because it's not okay anymore. I can do better, be better, live better. Starting today.

I'll keep us all posted on how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment